Saturday, February 12, 10:30 am to 3:30 pm
Wednesday, February 16, 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm
SKINNY MINIS: Mini Abstract Landscape Collages
There is a supply list below of materials you will need to bring.
Summary of class:
Create your own collage papers. Create some skinny mini landscapes Learn a new collage technique
In this 2-day workshop, we will create a palette of unique collage papers. We will learn some compositional skills as we put together some abstract landscapes. We will learn a new technique for assembling collages using a tack iron to fuse our papers together. We will add marks and glazes to complete our skinny minis.
Collage artist Kelly Schaub currently lives and works from her studio in Rockport, Texas and is active in arts organizations in Rockport, Port Aransas and Corpus Christi as venues for her teaching and exhibitions. Self-taught and a lifelong learner, Schaub began exploring mixed media collage in 2014 when she packed up all of her belongings in a vintage RV and began life on the road. In 2020, Schaub launched Collage-lab.com, an online resource for collage artists.
She was profiled in Kolaj Magazine's World Collage Day Special Edition in 2019. She was honored with a purchase award from the Doug & Laurie Kanyer Art Collection, along with awards for mixed media collage from Art Center of Corpus Christi, Port Aransas Art Center, Art League of South Texas and Art Association of Corpus Christi. Additionally, Schaub was awarded a grant from the Fine Line Group for The New Normal - Rockport initiative in 2020. She has also self-published several collections of collage through her everydaypaper.rocks website. She has recently founded a local collage meetup group, Local Glue and has curated international collage exhibits. Her work is featured in the recently released book, Collage Care: Transforming Emotions and Life Experiences with Collage, by Laurie Kanyer, MA.
Website: playonwordsdesign.com and collage-lab.com
There are no refunds or exchanges unless the Art Center cancels the class.
- 140lb watercolor paper - a 9" x 12" pad will work great - I like to use cold press
- Your favorite scissors
- Golden Gloss Medium
- Golden Satin Glazing Liquid
- Low tack artist tape 3/4 inch (3M 3051 is recommended or Scotch Artist Tape)
- Variety of brushes, including 1" flat brush or 1" sponge brush for gluing
- White artist's tissue paper - several sheets
- A roll of paper towels
- Several paper plates
- Tub of baby wipes
- Box of kitchen trash bags from the dollar store
- Roll of waxed paper or deli paper sheets
- If you have a tack iron (often found in hobby shops - also called a sealing iron), great - otherwise a regular iron will work
- Metal ruler
- Utility knife
- Variety of papers for collage including: books, magazines, other kinds of paper
- Your favorite mark making tools: pens, pencils, water solulable crayons, markers, paint pens, stencils, rubber stamps, ink etc.
- Gloves if desired
Instructor will also provide a variety of papers, plus heat resistant safety release sheets etc. Irons can be shared and instructor has a few to share.